Tuesday, February 24, 2015

knitting and reading: 02/24/15

knitting: 
here is another scrap blanket.
this time, all i used were white and off white coloured yarn.
i collected thrifted scrap yarn balls and old scarves to unravel in various weights and texture.
when i first started the blanket, i only used exclusively white yarn to see how the different textures would knit together, but the colour loving person in me found it too hard to continue.
then the idea that i could add off white shades popped into my head, and the knitting went much faster.


reading:
i finished doerr's all the light we cannot see and about to return it to the library.
it was beautifully written and well worth the read.
although i've never enjoyed reading stories about the world wars, doerr's style captivated me... especially how he wrote in the perspective of teenagers.
however, i have to say, that no matter how beautifully written- the images of war were still horrific and so difficult to process.

i also finished ishiguro's remains of the day.
i loved loved loved this book... and would highly recommend reading it.
i was surprised how different the movie was from the structure of the book and while both were well done... the book, like always, was so much better.
i thought that ishiguro's writing does a much more thorough job with the themes of dignity, loyalty and the art of bantering.


what are you knitting and reading?
erica
xoxo



18 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm loving the blanket. It's wonderful that it's all thrifted/scrap as it looks like you carefully selected all the yarns specifically for this. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't know what was more fun... collecting the thrifted yarn or knitting it back together.

      Delete
  2. Oh your blanket is beautiful and I'm glad you liked Remains of the Day I think it's a stunningly good book and just beautifully written. I love the film too but as always the book is better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Carie... i want to read more of Ishiguro's work !!!

      Delete
  3. Love that blanket, it is beautiful! Thanks for the feedback on the books :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blanket is beautiful and makes me want to cast one on too. I just read The Nightingale and while I loved it from beginning to end, it too deals with WWII and the horrors of war. It is a book that has stayed with me still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracey... i am going to have to check out The Nightingale !!!

      Delete
  5. Love your blanket - gorgeous. I just picked up All The Light from the library as I get most of my reading recommendations from Yarn Along. I've always thought that much as topics like this are horrible to contemplate, we need to be reminded of them so we do not become complacent to these issues. I have seen the movie Remains of the Day and will have to read the book too. Back to the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true... novels like these will help us NOT FORGET... now with their proliferation, the problem becomes not being desensitized !!! Hope you get some good reads from your library trip

      Delete
  6. My librarian has been listening to the "All the Light..." audiobook and recommended it to me because she can't put it down. I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know what audio book she recommends? I was thinking of listening but I'm pretty picky about my readers. They can make or break a book for me!

      Delete
  7. All the Light We Cannot See is on my to-read list! And wow, your blanket is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blanket is beautiful. I can't believe that you made if with your leftover yarn. The texture and colors are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blanket is wonderful! So warm and snuggly. Love that it integrates thrifted yarn too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blanket is gorgeous! I would love to try something like that one of these days. I'm also going to add The Remains of the Day and All the Light We Cannot See to my "to read" list on Goodreads. Thank you for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your kind words... they really do make my day !!!